Thursday 30 October 2014

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The brief was to come up with a portrait illustration featuring one of the characters from Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  I was given the Oompa Loompa.  The brief was in conjunction with a competition to design a 50th anniversary poster through 'Don't Panic' website and the new Musical.

The original description of the Oompa Loompas caused some controversy as they were essentially a tribe of black slaves that were brought over to work for cocoa beans.

I therefore decided to remain faithful to the revised version of the book which describes them as being 'knee high' having 'astonishing haircuts' and having golden hair and rosy white skin.  I didn't want to be influenced by any of the film versions or the new musical.

As the main objective of the illustration was a portrait, I couldn't show the 'knee high' stature of the Oompa Loompa, so decided to cut off the bottom of the face to imply shortness.

I also wanted the astonishing haircut to be the factory which I think works quite well.

Original Pencil drawing
Competition Entry

I decided to enter the competition with the above entry because I was sure I was finished and happy with what I had done.  My tutor at college said I should try a version which was bolder and showed more of the pencil work.

Final Version

I was happy with my competition entry, but have to admit that the above version is much more fitting for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  The colours are brighter, and the image has more of an impact.  Unfortunately I can't enter the final version into the competition because I already entered the other one.  Oh well!


Click here to visit the poster design website:

http://dontpaniconline.com/designtheposter/charliechoc

No comments:

Post a Comment